Books - Mar 17

March 31, 2017


5 books this month. It could have been more but it took me two weeks to read the first book this month.

Simon Scarrow's Britannia was a long read, taking me 14 days to get through. Unfortunately it took a long time to get to the point and while I appreciate the level of detail involved in splitting up the main characters and having them diverge paths for a while I just wasn't as into this as other books in the series. Maybe it's just me getting tired of battle descriptions.

Because it took me so long, I wanted out of Rome for a while and moved onto Mortal Instruments #3 City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. This series is all because of the movie and Jamie Campbell Bower. I'm still annoyed they ditched the movies and I couldn't get past more than 10 minutes of the TV series. While I understand this is a Young Adult book, I felt at least half of the book was unnecessary. I don't really need Clary's inner monologue for a full page, I just wanted to know whether and when they find out they aren't really brother and sister [sorry, spoiler]. And the book wrapped up easy enough. I did skip a lot of the none Jace and Clary stuff because that part of the story line really doesn't interest me. When looking to read the next book #4 I did a bit of googling about the plot lines and discovered that book #3 was supposed to be the last; I looked at the plots of the next 3 [I had physically bought them at this point] and decided I really didn't care. I wasn't about to struggle through another 3 books when what I really wanted had already been answered. Sorry fans.

I moved back to Rome to continue with SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts. #9 The Princess and the Pirates has Metellus sent to Cyprus to get rid of pirates. Of course it wouldn't be that simple. Murder, mass murder, a young Cleopatra and suspecting the wrong man; all in the days work for Metellus. And in the end I'm not sure he really got any of the pirates.

A Point of Law sees Metellus back in Rome, running for Praetor when he's accused of corruption. Unfortunately the accuser ends up dead and so he's then accused of murder. This book demonstrates the nature of the Roman law courts at that time, in that evidence really doesn't matter. Most of the time the jury is made up of people who might hate you to begin with; and that's before they are more often than not, bribed either way. It's about making a case and who does that better, whether what they are saying is true or not. Of course, it all works out in the end.

Under Vesuvius takes the new Praetor Metellus down to Campania, where he hears court cases involving foreigners. Barely days into getting there, someone is murdered and then the father of the suspect is murdered, and then Metellus is attacked and a third person dies; and well it's all a lot of murder. There are 5 deaths in total linked in this case and Metellus doesn't get a lot of official work done investigating these deaths. I'm surprised there isn't more outcry about that at the time.

Goodreads Progress

I am 16 books read, 4 ahead of schedule.

Currently Reading

SPQR #12 The Oracle of the Dead by John Maddox Roberts

You Might Also Like

0 comments