March - Books

March 31, 2016

I managed to read 6 books this month, but then one was only about 90 pages long!



The Spartacus War by Barry Strauss is the book I was last reading and paints a different picture to my only other source on this period; Spartacus the TV program. Obviously not a lot is known about Spartacus or specifics about his revolt but Strauss takes historical writers events and blends them with archaeological and geographical evidence to give us a better view.

Ancient Egypt by E. J. Sheppard from the Then and There series was a charity shop stumble upon. Published in the same series as Roman Britain from January's Books some of the information is woefully out of date, but gives a basic overview of Ancient Egypt as seen around the 1960's.

Great Caesar by Peter Somerset Fry I'm ashamed to say, writing this well after the fact I have no recollection what this book is about. While I can almost guarantee it is an historical biography, I can't say much more than that. I fail as a book reviewer.

Empress of Rome: The Life of Livia by Matthew Dennison deals with someone perhaps made famous by Robert Graves' I, Claudius and the BBC drama featuring Derek Jacobi; the wife of Augustus, Livia. While I absolutely love the portrayal from I, Claudius it was refreshing to read the perhaps true nature of this long lost powerful woman living in a male dominated society.

An Evil Spirit Out of the West by Paul Doherty is the first in a 3 part series on Ancient Egypt. It takes one of the most famous characters in Egyptian history: Akenhaten [otherwise known as The Heretic Pharaoh]; from boyhood through to manhood and beyond [in the remaining books] told from the point of view of his friend and then royal servant Mahu. This series differs from others I've read about this period by delving into the early years of Akenhaten which while fiction is immensely interesting.

The Season of the Hyaena by Paul Doherty is the second in the series mentioned above, focusing on the reign of Tutankhamun after Akenhatens' disappearance. I truly love Paul Doherty's work and his Ancient Egypt series are thoroughly engaging.

Currently Reading

Not a total surprise but the third book in the aforementioned series The Year of the Cobra by Paul Doherty. I do like reading series in order together.

You Might Also Like

0 comments